I love Thai curry and make it often at home. I’m always looking for new and different ways to enjoy the curry flavours, and this recipe fits the bill perfectly.
We enjoyed this lovely Basil Chicken Curry for dinner this evening. It came together quickly and everyone enjoyed it. A perfect weeknight meal!
If you don’t have unsweetened coconut, you can use sweetened. I had to use sweetened coconut. I kind of enjoyed the bit of sweet, but DD didn’t so much, so be warned that the kids might object to that substitution. It’s easy to leave it off the rice for them though.
It’s worth gathering up the ingredients for this dish, as they all work together so beautifully. I especially loved the addition of the peanuts and the mango and avocado on the side.
Basil Chicken Curry with Coconut Rice
Summary: This is a delicious, quick and easy dish, that can be on the table in about 30 minutes. The mango and avocado is lovely on the side, if you have them, but they are not necessary. I often serve this with a side of green beans for a family meal.
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil (divided)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (divided)
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. Thai green curry paste
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 3 Tbsp. minced cilantro
- 1 green onion, white and light green parts only, cut into 2-inch lengths
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Sliced avocado and mango, for serving
- In a saucepan or rice cooker, start your basmati rice cooking.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet over low heat, toast the coconut, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and let cool. Wipe out the skillet.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon of the oil. Add 1 teaspoon of the ginger and cook over medium high heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- To the same skillet, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and the remaining 1 teaspoon of ginger. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the coconut milk, broth and curry paste and bring to a boil, stirring. Simmer the sauce for 5 minutes, until thickened.
- Return the chicken to the skillet and add the 1/4 cup of the basil, 2 tablespoons of the cilantro and the green onion. Simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. (If your sauce it too thick, you can add a splash more chicken broth to thin).
- Transfer the cooked rice to a bowl and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.
- Transfer the chicken to another bowl. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons of basil, 1 tablespoon of cilantro and the peanuts.
- Serve the avocado and mango on the side.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 4
Adapted for a Food and Wine recipe