I posted a hamburger bun recipe previously that I thought was really good. But these are even better! The recipe was posted in a great New York Times article about constructing The Perfect Burger. A great read, if you haven’t seen it!
Best Homemade Hamburger Buns
Summary: These are the best and lightest hamburger buns I’ve made. Makes 8 buns.
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 Tbsp. warm milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1 large egg
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, yeast, sugar and salt. Add the butter and rub into flour between your fingers, making crumbs.
- In a glass measuring cup, measure out water. Add milk and beaten egg. Stir into flour mixture until a dough forms.
- Scrape dough onto a well-floured counter and knead until smooth and elastic, 8 to 10 minutes. The dough will be sticky but resist the urge to add more flour (using a plastic bowl scraper can help here). Try to leave the dough more moist that you would a normal bread dough.
- Shape dough into a ball and return it to a greased bowl. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 1-2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using dough scraper, divide dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each into a ball and arrange two to three inches apart on baking sheet. Cover loosely with a piece of plastic wrap sprayed with nonstick spray on the side facing the buns, and let buns rise in a warm place for another 1-2 hours.
- Set a large shallow pan of water on oven floor. Preheat oven to 400° F with rack in centre position in oven. Beat the remaining egg with one tablespoon water and brush the top of buns. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using. Bake, turning sheet halfway through baking, until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
Total time: 2 hours 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 8 buns