It’s blueberry season! I picked up a quart at the market stand this past weekend and turned a few of them into these lovely Blueberry Lemon Sugar muffins. These muffins are a family favourite. The muffin itself is great. Lightly lemony and full of blueberries. The baked muffins are then dipped into melted butter, then sugar.
If your lucky enough to get your hands on some wild blueberries, grab them. I know they are a bit pricey, but oh so worth it. I love the smaller wild blueberries for these, but any blueberry will do (even frozen).
Blueberry Lemon Sugar-Topped Muffins
Summary: These are delicious muffins, perfect for any time of day.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt (reduce to 1/4 tsp. if you use salted butter)
- 2 tsp. lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk (or buttermilk)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- For topping:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- preheat oven to 425° F. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg. Add the milk and the melted butter. Stir to combine.
- Add the egg/milk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. (Do not overmix) Add the blueberries and stir just until evenly distributed in the batter.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and a tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, then remove from muffin tin to a cooling rack.
- Melt butter in a small bowl in microwave. Add sugar to another small bowl. When muffins are cool enough to handle, dip top of each muffin in melted butter and then into sugar.
Prep time: 10 min | Cook time: 20 min | Total time: 30 min
Number of servings (yield): 12 muffins
Adapted from a Best of Bridge recipe