I realized today that with all the bread I’ve made over the past 6-8 months, I have yet to make a cheese bread. How could I have missed this? I looooove cheese! I found a great recipe on the Five Roses flour site and adapted it for my preferred instant yeast method. It made fabulous bread. I highly recommend it.
Great options for this bread: Add dried parsley or herbs and/or bake as 6 small loaves in mini-loaf pans for individual cheese breads.
Recipe: Cheese Bread
Summary: This is a great bread for eating out of hand or toasted. Dried herbs would be a great addition. Bake as 6 small loaves for individual cheese bread.
- 1 1/2 cups water, warm
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- (Optional: 1/4 tsp. white or black pepper)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. instant yeast
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (plus more for topping, if desired)
- Place warm water in large bowl. Beat in oil, salt, Tabasco and egg until smoothly blended. Add Parmesan cheese.
- Stir in 2 cups flour, salt, pepper (if using), sugar and yeast. Beat well. Add more flour until mixture becomes too stiff to stir and cleans sides of bowl. Turn out onto lightly floured board.
- Knead dough, adding more flour as necessary to make a soft dough. Continue kneading until dough is smooth, elastic and no longer sticky, about 10 minutes.
- Place in a lightly greased bowl. Turn dough to grease top. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Let rise in warm place (75°-85°F/24°-29°C) until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Turn out onto lightly floured board and gently deflate. Knead in the shredded cheddar cheese until well distributed. Divide into 2 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a loaf. Place seam side down in 2 well greased 8 1/2″ x 4 1/2″ loaf pans. Cover with tea towel or greased plastic wrap.
- Let rise in a warm place until dough rises 1 1/2″ above top of pan in centre and corners are filled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Bake at 375° F. on lower oven rack for 30 to 35 minutes. If desired, remove bread after 15 minutes of baking and sprinkle some more shredded cheddar cheese on top. Place back in oven and continue baking for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 2 hours 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 2