This is a great sandwich bread and is a nice compromise between an all white and all whole wheat bread. This one is 40% whole wheat and is kid tested and approved!
This recipe is adapted from a recipe in the Joy of Cooking cookbook. It slices beautifully for sandwiches and stays fresh a really long time!
div class=”hrecipe custom”>
Country Wheat Sandwich Bread
Summary: This is a 50% whole wheat sandwich bread, a nice light whole wheat option.
- 2 cups milk or buttermilk
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup light or dark brown sugar
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. instant yeast
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup wheat bran (or omit and use 1/2 cup more whole wheat flour)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- Heat milk in microwave until just boiling, about 1 1/2 minutes. Pour into stand mixer bowl or into large bowl if mixing and kneading by hand. Add the oatmeal, sugar, butter, and salt. Mix well and cool to lukewarm, about 15 minutes.
- Add eggs, wheat germ and whole wheat flour. Combine yeast with flour and with the mixer on low, add in the all purpose flour 1/2 cup at a time until the dough comes together. Knead on low for about 6 minutes. If dough is still sticky, add a bit more flour until dough pulls away from edges of bowl. Shape dough into large ball.
- Grease a large bowl. Put the dough back into the bowl, flipping it around to coat dough with a bit of the oil then cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Shape dough into two loaves and place in two 8 or 9- inch loaf pans. Let rise again, covered with plastic wrap, until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. If desired, spritz top of loaves with water and sprinkle with additional wheat bran before baking. Bake about 35-40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the bottom reaches 205 – 210° F.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 2 hours 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 2