Is there anything better than Potatoes Au Gratin? The magical combination of thinly sliced potatoes, with a cheese-flavoured white sauce that gets baked into a creamy, comforting finish with a melted, golden cheese topping, is a favourite in my home. As good as they are, I discovered an easy way to make my potatoes even better!
For this dish, I simply used Kraft Creamy Herb & Garlic Shredded Cheese with a Touch of Philadelphia in place of my regular cheese. The blend of mozzarella and cheddar cheese, flavoured with herbs and garlic and a touch of Philly, added such great flavour to the potatoes! Just as importantly, it melted so beautifully into such a super, creamy sauce and let’s face it, that’s what we’re after when we make Potatoes Au Gratin. It was definitely a melt to remember!
I had a hard time keeping the family out of the kitchen when these potatoes were baking. The flavours of melting cheese and garlic filled the house as they cooked. When we finally sat down for dinner, I noticed that everyone’s fork went for the potatoes first. And I didn’t blame them a bit :) I cooked the potatoes in small, individual dishes. My daughter likes them that way and I aim to please. As she says, then everyone gets a lot of the golden, crispy potatoes edge bits.
I have long used Kraft’s shredded cheese. I love the convenience. With Kraft’s new Creamy Shredded Cheese with a Touch of Philladelphia, shredded cheese has become even more useful in my kitchen, as it can make so many dishes I make even better!
Kraft Creamy Shredded Cheese with a Touch of Philadelphia is available in 3 delicious flavours: Creamy Mozza, Creamy Herb and Garlic and Creamy Mexicana. To celebrate these new, great cheese blends, Kraft Canada is having a Twitter Party … and you’re invited! The “What’s Cooking Twitter Party” will be held on Wednesday, April 16, 2014 at 9:00 p.m. Follow Kraft at @KraftCanada and the hashtag #TouchofPhillyCheese
For more great recipes to inspire you, be sure to visit the Kraft Canada website to see more yummy and scrumptious recipe ideas that include Kraft Shredded Cheese with a Touch of Philadelphia and the melt you won’t forget.
Disclosure: Although this post has been generously sponsored by Kraft Canada, the opinions and language are all my own, and in no way do they reflect Kraft Canada
Would make a great Easter side dish with ham!
Recipe: Creamy Herb and Garlic Potatoes Au Gratin
These are delicious, creamy potatoes, flavoured with herbs and garlic. Great for pot-lucks or buffets. Can be made ahead and re-heated.
- 3 large russet potatoes, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- (Optional) 1/2 cup diced onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups Kraft Creamy Herb & Garlic Shredded Cheese with a Touch of Philadelphia
- 1/2 cup additional Kraft Creamy Herb & Garlic Shredded Cheese with a Touch of Philadelphia, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Butter a 1 quart casserole dish or several smaller, individual baking dishes and set aside. Slice potatoes and dice onions, if using. Place into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Mix in the flour and salt, and stir constantly with a whisk for one minute. Gradually stir in milk. Cook until mixture has thickened, and coats the back of a spoon, 6-8 minutes. Stir in cheese all at once, and continue stirring until melted, about 30 to 60 seconds. Pour cheese sauce over the the sliced potatoes and diced onion mixture (if using). Stir well to combine, being sure to separate potato slices well so that the sauce coats all the potatoes. Spoon into baking dish (or dishes) and sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake about 1 1/2 hours in the preheated oven, or until potatoes are tender and top is golden.
Number of servings (yield): 4