I love to make this bread as a nice change from the Honey Wheat Sandwich bread I make often.
You could replace some of the all-purpose flour with some whole wheat flour (up to 2 cups), if you like, for some extra fibre. You could also replace the honey with molasses, for a darker bread.
This bread makes a great sandwich!
Honey Oat Sandwich Bread
Summary: This is a one of my favourite sandwich breads. I love the oat and honey flavour to this bread. Toasts well.
- 5 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
- 1 cup rolled oats (not instant)
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 3/4 – 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil (or butter)
- 1/2 cup honey
- Combine flour, yeast and rolled oats in large bowl or bowl of stand mixer. Add water, oil and honey and mix until dough comes together in a ball. Add more flour or water as necessary to get the right consistency.
- Knead in mixer for 4-5 minutes or by hand for 8-10 minutes.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled. Divide dough into two pieces and form into two loaves. Place loaves in greased loaf pans, spray top of loaves lightly with spray oil and cover with plastic wrap until fully proofed and crested above the edges of the pans.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray top of loaves with water and sprinkle with additional rolled oats.
- Bake at 350° F. for about 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 200° F.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 2 hours 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 2 loaves