I haven’t posted a new bread recipe in a while but I haven’t stopped baking bread. I didn’t bake as often over the summer but with the cooler weather returning, bread baking is back in full swing.
I made this bread over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It’s pleasantly whole wheat while still being “white” enough to satisfy the teenage daughter. It also makes lovely toast!
This recipe comes courtesy of the Red Star Yeast folks.
Honey Wheat Bread 2
Summary: This is one of my favourite bread. Perfect for sandwiches and toasts well.
- 6 Tbsp. water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 Tbsp. table salt
- 4 1/2 tsp. Active Dry or *Instant Yeast
- Combine yeast, 1 cup bread flour, and salt. Combine liquids, except egg, and heat to 120º to 130º F.
- Stand Mixer Method: Combine dry mixture and liquid ingredients in mixing bowl with paddle or beaters for 4 minutes on medium speed. Add egg; beat 1 minute. Gradually add whole wheat flour and remaining bread flour and knead with dough hook 5 to 7 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to grease top. Cover; let rise until dough tests ripe. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; punch down to remove air bubbles and divide in half. Roll or pat each into a 14- x 7-inch rectangle. Starting with shorter side, roll up tightly, pressing dough into roll. Pinch edges and taper ends to seal. Place into greased 9- x 5 or 8 x 4-inch loaf pans. Cover; let rise until indentation remains after touching.
- Bake in preheated 375° F. oven 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from pan; cool.
- *You can substitute Instant (fast-rising) yeast in place of Active Dry yeast. When using Instant yeast, expect your dough to rise faster. Always let your dough rise until ripe.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
Total time: 2 hours 45 min
Number of servings (yield): 2 loaves