This slow cooker beef stew is a favourite easy winter meal at our house. I love that it gets started early in the day and then just cooks away until dinner. I love to serve this with garlic mashed potatoes or over rice, depending on my mood.
Feel free to add more vegetables, if you like. This stew is highly adaptable to whatever you happen to have around. It’s perfect for using up the small bits of frozen vegetables that might be hanging out in your freezer!
Slow Cooker Beef and Mushroom Stew
Summary: This is a delicious, hearty and easy meal for a weekend or a weekday. After a bit of browning and prep, all the ingredients can cook away in the slow cooker and be ready for dinner. Serve with some mashed potatoes and a vegetable.
- 2 lb. stewing beef, trimmed and cut in 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 cups button mushrooms, halved
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cups peeled potatoes, cubed
- 1 pkg. dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Toss beef with 1/4 cup of the flour and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat. Brown the meat in batches, being sure not to crowd the pan and adding more oil as necessary. Transfer browned meat to slow cooker.
- In the same skillet you used to brown the beef, add the stock and bring to a boil, scraping up any brown bits. Pour stock into the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Fry the onion, bacon and thyme for 1 minute. Add the mushrooms and cook until softened and almost no liquid remains. Add all of this to the slow cooker.
- Add the celery, potatoes, porcini mushrooms, bay leaf and 1 cup of water to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for about 6 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- When cooked, whisk remaining 1/4 cup of flour with a 1/4 cup water and then whisk into slow cooker. Add peas. Cover and cook on high for 15 minutes or until thickened.
Prep time: 20 min | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 20 min
Number of servings (yield): 8