From the archives … one of my favourite salads, best enjoyed right now, when tomatoes are at their very best!
Baskets of field tomatoes are in stores now, so there is no better time to enjoy one of my favourite salads. Of course, this tomato salad that can be enjoyed any time of year, but it really shines when tomatoes are at their summer best.
This is a great dish to take to a BBQ or to enjoy at home with any summer dish. Make it a bit early and let it sit at room temperature (covered with plastic wrap), to allow the flavours to meld. Serve this at room temperature for the best flavour.
Tomato, Red Onion and Feta Salad
Summary: This is one of my favourite summer salads. Make it a bit ahead and let it rest at room temperature, for the flavours to meld. Best with summer fresh tomatoes.
- For the dressing:
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. fresh ground pepper
- For the salad:
- 4 tomatoes, cut into slices
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and separated into individual rings (you may need to cut in half if too large)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaf, tightly packed and shredded (or sprinkle tomatoes with 1 tsp.dried basil)
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare the dressing, in a small bowl, by whisking together all the dressing ingredients.
- Slice the tomatoes and arrange in a single layer, overlapping slightly, in a shallow dish or deep plate (I use a glass flan pan). Spread red onion over tomatoes, then basil, then sprinkle crumbled feta cheese over the top.
- Drizzle with the dressing. Let stand at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- (If you are making ahead and want to refrigerate, just be sure to remove from the fridge an hour before serving to bring it to room temperature).
Number of servings (yield): 4